- Dr. Vinod S. Joshi has worked in Nair Hospital under the guidance of Dr. S. T. Choudhary and Dr. H. M. Punjani in the department of Urology, possessing a wide array of endourological and other equipment. He has vast exposure in endoscopic work and is well trained in endourological procedures including TURP, PCNL and URS.
- Since last year, he has been carrying out PCNL procedures under C-ARM fluroscopic control independently. He has obtained about 65% total stone clearance rate with his procedures like PCNL and URS. He has performed and assisted most major and minor urological and andrological surgeries during his tenure.
- He has also worked for three years in urodynamic laboratory at Nair Hospital and obtained a thorough training in the techniques and interpretations of urodynamic studies. The management of neurogenic bladder and of incontinent patients and artificial sphincter surgery has been his area of Interest
- Periurethral Injection of Fat in Stress Urinary Incontinence : He has performed experimental work on the role of periurethral fat injection as a modality in the treatment of stress urinary incontinence. The perspective study was founded on a sample of twenty cases of stress urinary incontinence. The results of this study were also compared with endoscopic bladder neck suspension. Our findings indicated that periurethral injection of fat constitutes an alternative treatment to injection of collagen, and is inexpensive. The indications for pereurethral injections and endoscopic bladder neck suspension are entirely different. We also found that the results of fat injection are short-lived. Based on this work, the Department of Urology plans to investigate how the results can be improved on a long-term basis. Research Adviser: Dr. S.T. Choudhary
- The Role of Mepartricin in Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia : In association with Tata Pharma, I carried out a drug trial on the role of Mepartricin (Ipertrophan) in the treatment of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. We concluded that patients with BPH, when treated with this drug, do get subjective improvement. However, we failed to demonstrate any objective improvement. One might argue in favour of other proven drugs in medical management of BPH. The results of this study are being compiled for publication. Research Adviser: Dr. S.T. Choudhary
- The Role of ERCP in the Management of CBD Stones: Over a period of two and a half years, we studied over thirty cases of obstructive jaundice due to CBD stones. ERCP was carried out in most of the patients. It was observed that ERCP played a major role in diagnostic as well as therapeutic management of CBD stones. Research Adviser: Dr. P.D. Munagekar
BPH, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, Prostrate Cancer, Urinary Incontinence, weak bladder, uti, urinary tract infections, enlarged prostrate, kidney stones, ureteral stones, bladder cancer, bladder proplapse, hematuria, blood in the urine, erectile dysfunction, ED, interstital cystitis, painful bladder syndrome, overactive bladder, prostatitis, swelling of prostrate gland, kidney cancer, kidney tumors, testicular cancer, cystometry, cystoscopy